Day 7- Kiholo Bay

Day 7: Kristina Dvorak

            All of a sudden, I was jolted across my seat and in that moment I realized that minivans are definitely not meant to go off-roading. The road from highway 19 to Kiholo Bay was a treacherous one and it marked only the beginning of today’s adventure. We parked on the side of the dirt path and continued our day with observations of our environment, testing the salinity of the water, and transporting rocks that will soon be used to complete the wall around the fish ponds.
The most memorable part of the day for me was when we went swimming with the honu (green sea turtle) in the fishponds. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity to swim this closely to turtles in the wild. I put my snorkeling goggles on and walked into the water. I was shocked how cold it was, but then I remembered freshwater is colder than salt water, therefore the fishponds are colder than the ocean, being fed water from under the ground. When I started swimming towards other people in the pond, I noticed the water was murky since it was high tide. I was not able to see my feet and that is when I started to get uneasy since I have a large fear of creatures hiding in unclear water. I began to worry that in some way I would harm the turtles. Instead of getting out,  I walked towards a group of people in order to feel safer. I stayed with Nicole, one of the instructors, who knew I was scared of the water and we looked at the turtles together. I slowly became more comfortable in the water and stayed in until we had to leave and return to Waimea.
            Swimming in the murky water took me out of my comfort zone but I am glad I stayed in and took advantage of this opportunity. Something that I learned about myself is that going outside of my comfort level should happen everyday in order to take advantage of life's adventures.

The students work to move rocks to rebuild a wall of the fishpond.

Emma Ramaley

Today was our last full day on the island.  Our plan was to go to Kiholo Bay, a protected area on the coastline consisting of several acres of fish ponds.  This place is very sacred and significant in Hawaiian history.  As we drove up to the entrance and parked the van, I immediately felt a wave of serenity rush through me.  Before entering, the UHH staff explained the importance of where we were and told us what to expect as we entered.  
We walked towards the bridge to cross one of the fish ponds, which was the official entrance of the sacred land.  We left all of our belongings behind us and said a chant to receive permission to enter from the workers of the bay.  This was the point where I realized how culturally significant this place was to the people of Hawai'i.  I knew Kiholo Bay would be very sacred, but it was enlightening to learn about the importance this place has on the island.  It made me feel so much more connected to the land and water there and the people around me felt much more like family.
The local Hawaiians stood in front, along with the students who carried the offerings.  The chant began and it filled the quiet area with a loud, yet comforting presence. Following that, we walked over the bridge and I could already feel such a deep connection to the land.  Each step I took made me more united with the living things surrounding me. From that moment on, I knew the day would end with a positive, fulfilling experience. 

What I took away from this day was how connected one can feel to the world around them if they take the time to do so.  By being introduced to Kiholo Bay the way we did, I was able to take in everything around me.  When we entered the bay, I could quickly feel the energy of each tree, each inch of the fish pond, each turtle, and the breeze blowing through my hair.  Walking into this peaceful, soothing place was the highlight of my day and has changed my point of view of the world around me. 

Emma swimming with one of the many turtles who take refuge in the fish ponds during the day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5- Coral Reef Studies at Puako

UCSD GELS Hawai'i

Day 2- Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park