Day 6- Science Presentations and Hapuna Beach

Day 6: Maddie Wallace

Today was a good day at the UCSD GELS Hawai'i program. After breakfast in the HPA dining hall, we returned to the house and worked on our research group projects. Each of the four groups had a different topic to discuss. My group was assigned “The Anthropogenic Impact on Coral Reefs” and we presented how humans impact coral reefs and the ecosystem surrounding them. After finishing our poster we headed for Hāpuna beach, a beautiful white sand beach, with light blue-green water surrounding it.
My favorite activity of the day was going to the beach. My best friend from Los Angeles happened to be vacationing a short walk away from Hapuna beach, and so I got to see him. This was probably the highlight of the day for me because I rarely see him because he lives six hours away. He has helped me through some of my hardest times and is one of the people I trust most in my life. Being able to see him and have fun with him at a gorgeous beach reminded me of all the happy moments I’ve had. In addition, simply having fun at a beach with all my friends from the program was something I'll never forget. Usually, beaches aren't my favorite place because the ocean back in California is cold and dark, whereas here, it is the exact opposite. It's breathtakingly beautiful, warm, and inviting. One of our friends had an underwater camera so we took a lot of pictures. It's not often that I have this much fun at the beach, so this day has definitely been one of my favorites of the trip. The majority of the time we go to the beach we are doing research or work, so it was nice to experience a place like this and be able to hang out with new friends.
Every day with this program has been amazing. The adventures we go on and the information we learn has been inspiring and eye opening. It has taught me a lot about myself as well as about the culture and history of Hawai'i. For me, this day was the best in terms of having fun and making memories. This made me realize how small the world is and how I should enjoy it.                    
Hapuna Beach State Park.
Javier Galvan


Today we went on a trip to the beach. This was something I was looking forward to ever since I arrived to Hawai'i. All the stories I heard about the water being clear as glass and how soft the sand was were true. I jumped into the waves, excited to tell my friends that I swam in the waters of Hawai'i. From the moment I jumped in I could already feel how different the water was from San Diego. It was cold, but not freezing like San Diegan waters. It was as if the ocean was inviting me to ride its waves and I happily obliged. The waves were consistent and big, much more violent than the waters back home, but that was what made it even more fun. I was there with my close friend, Amaury. During this time I saw a different side of him, more open to have fun and just act like a child in a playground. After we left the water I felt closer to him than I had ever before. The scenery and fun moments I experienced will live on with me for the rest of my life. The Hawaiian ocean truly is magical.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5- Coral Reef Studies at Puako

UCSD GELS Hawai'i